Crossing Guard Program

The Public Works Agency's School Crossing Guard Program provides adult crossing guards in school areas to assist children crossing busy streets on their way to and return from various schools in the unincorporated areas of Alameda County. School crossing guard services are provided on a school year basis and may include summer school coverage, if requested. Each pedestrian crossing guard receives training in their specific duties, local traffic regulations and crossing techniques.

Due to limited funding availability, school crossing guard locations are limited. As a result, schools may decide to fund school crossing guards with their own discretionary funds or may work with our Supervising Crossing Guard on training parent volunteers to serve as crossing guards.

To request school crossing guard services from the Public Works Agency, complete the School Crossing Guard Request Form and submit it to the Alameda County Public Works Agency's Human Resources Department, 399 Elmhurst Street, Hayward CA 94544. Once your request has been received, a traffic engineering study will be conducted to determine if it meets the standard criteria.